Lemon Olive Oil Ice Cream
Using our vibrant Lemon Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup whole milk
1 cup sugar
4 tbsp lemon zest
4 large egg yolks
½ cup Lemon Infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 pinch of sea salt
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan gently warm the milk, heavy cream, sugar, 3 tbsp of lemon zest and a pinch of sea salt on a low heat. The key here is to go slow as you do not want to boil the mixture. Continue slowly warming the milk until the edges start to show tiny bubbles.
- In a bowl briskly whisk the egg yolks.
- At the point that tiny bubbles begin to appear in the saucepan, ladle a cup of the warmed mixture into the egg yolks and whisk together to fully incorporate. This is an important step to keep the egg yolks from cooking and clumping.
- Add the whisked egg yolk and cream mixture slowly into the saucepan, while continuing to stir.
- Continue to slowly warm the cream and egg mixture on a low heat while stirring constantly to prevent catching of the mixture at the bottom of the pan. Go slow, you do not want to cook the eggs. This will take 15-20 minutes depending on how slowly you are warming the mixture.
- When the back of the spoon is evenly coated, drain this mixture through a fine-mesh strainer into a large mixing bowl.
- Slowly whisk in the lemon juice, olive oil and remaining 1 tbsp of lemon zest.
- Place this mixture into the refrigerator, do not cover immediately. After 30 minutes, cover the mixture and leave it in the refrigerator overnight. Refrigerating the mixture is key to the success of this setting into an ice cream.
- Follow the directions of your ice cream maker. If using an ice cream maker that requires the mixing bowl to be frozen, place the mixing bowl in your freezer the night before.
- Mix in your ice cream mixer for 30-35 minutes until the mixture looks like soft-serve ice cream.
- Place the mixture into a freezer-proof container (a metal-9 inch loaf pan works well). Cover the mixture with parchment paper and place in the freezer for 6-8 hours or overnight before serving.
- Serve with a drizzle of Lemon Olive Oil. The ice cream pairs wonderfully with the Chocolate Olive Oil Cake.